Did you know that Cinco De Mayo is a celebration about the Mexican army's victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla on May 5th, 1862? Of course you didn't...because all we think about is drinking Mexican drinks and eating Mexican food! Yep, Cinco De Mayo is right around the corner and that means it is almost time for a the unique, fun, celebration we Americans use to party with Margariatas and Sangria. Whether you want to get all wild and crazy dancing on the bar in your best sombrero, or take the kids out for chips, salsa and a cultural dinner, Orlando has plenty of options for everyone.
We rounded up 5 of the best places to celebrate Cinco De Mayo in Orlando, Ole!
1. Place your bets at Cocina 214 's "Running of the Chihuahuas." Although not technically on Cinco De Mayo, the 4th Annual "Running of the Chihuahuas" event takes place the weekend before on May 1st and is fun for the whole family. For a cost of $15 in advance or $20 at the door, you have the chance to watch these little dogs race each other for this year's crown. The best part? All proceeds benefit Winter Park Lost Pets and A Cause 4 Paws Rescue. Get tickets here.
2. Spend quality time at Disney's | Epcot . What is a guide to Orlando without including something about Walt Disney World. right! On Cinco De Mayo, EPCOT's "Mexico" pavilion will be hosting special family and kid oriented events throughout the day. If you haven't been to the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival yet, kill two birds with one hypothetical stone and celebrate at EPCOT's Mexico while enjoying the smells, sounds, and food of the festival.
3. Indulge in an alcoholic beverage at the Margarita's Grill. If you are going to drink, you may as well do it at a place with the name of the most famous Mexican beverage in its title! If you are looking to beat the crowds and expensive prices of the Disney/Universal locations, head over to Margarita Grill and indulge in one of their many flavors of Margarita. The cuisine at Margarita's is authentic, the atmosphere warm and festive! We are betting you will want to return for Latin or Salsa night, or maybe Taco Tuesday. Every night is Cinco De Mayo at Margarita's Grill!
4. Party at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville . Okay so maybe some crowds never hurt anyone. If you are looking to strut your stuff with your crew, head over to Universal's Citywalk and partake in some tequila at Maragaritaville. Indulge in some fruity drinks and soak up all that alcohol with one of Jimmy's famous appetizers.
5. Ride a bull at Wall Street Plaza 's Block Party. Bull riding and a Mariachi Band, could it get more festive? Set in the heart of downtown Orlando, Wall Street Plaza's Block Party kicks off on May 4th, and continues through the big day. The event is free and fun for college kids, real kids, and the young at heart.
Orlando offers plenty to do for Cinco De Mayo. Your hardest task? Deciding where to help the Mexican's celebrate their historic victory! Where will you be in May? Let us know your favorite places to celebrate Cinco in Orlando in comments below!